Established by the family, friends and colleagues of Amy Hurn this fund was created in her memory and as a lasting reminder
of her commitment to education.
To provide financial assistance to Vancouver public high school students who wish to pursue post secondary education.
Such students shall:
Recipients will be eligible to receive funding
for the first year of post secondary education
and will be eligible to receive funding each
year for up to a total of four years of undergraduate
studies. Applicants must meet the
following requirements for initial and continued
- demonstrate a need for financial support
- have an academic record indicating their ability to pursue their chosen area of study
- be involved in their local community with a history of: volunteering, membership in youth groups, actively involved in environmental and/or social issues.
- intend to pursue a program in the sciences
- be below the age of 25 at the time of application
First time applicants are required to submit a
letter of application (there is no application
form) of 500 words maximum including the
- Biographical profile
- Personal and career goals
- Academic and community activities, nonschool
based community activities will be
- Engagement with social or political issues
- Details of the proposed course of post secondary
The following supporting documents are required
to be submitted with the application:
- Transcripts of final marks for school grades 11 and 12.
- Letters of reference: A letter from a member of the applicant's community, a letter from the
applicant's science teacher and a letter from the applicant's school which includes an
endorsement from a counselor or administrator that the applicant has a financial need.
- Applicants are welcome to submit additional letters of reference. All letters of reference shall
include contact information for the referee.
Existing recipients are required to re-apply each year and demonstrate they have maintained an
acceptable academic standard. Transcripts of marks for previous semesters are required and details of
the next year's study.
The application must be submitted prior to June 30th to:
The Amy Hurn Scholarship Fund,
#203-3102 Main street,
Successful applicants will be notified by July 30th.
Amount of Scholarship
Recipients will receive $1,000 a year towards the cost of their tuition fees.
Payment of $500 will be made directly to the post secondary institution in late August and January.
The external site for the Amy Hurn Scholarship is: http://amyhurn.com
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org